A balanced diet is important for sexual wellness. Following these basic steps will start you on the path to optimum sexual vitality.
Extra Weight Inhibits Your Sex Life
Extra weight too, can inhibit one’s sex life in many ways. It makes movement difficult and also leads to many associated clinical conditions that impair sexual function. A high-fat diet often leads to heart disease and poor cardiovascular function. Clogged arteries prevent adequate blood flow from reaching the genital region, which interferes with sexual pleasure and ability to perform. The easiest way to cut fat is to:
• Reduce your intake of processed, pre-packaged foods. Keep in mind that even the natural fat found in foods like avocados and nuts is better for you than the man-made fats.
• Avoid fried foods like French fries, puris, bhajias, sweetmeats, etc.
• Order salads with low fat dressing.
• Start eating more ‘whole-foods’ – fresh fruits, vegetables and grains.
• Reduce your visits to fast food joints and specialty restaurants.
High Cholesterol = Sexual Dysfunction
While almost all of the clinical studies connecting cholesterol to sexual dysfunction have been conducted on men, there is some evidence to suggest that the same correlation may hold true for women, too. Blood flow into the vagina and clitoris results in lubrication and engorgement.
Cholesterol culprits include egg yolks (two to three eggs per week should be fine; try using more whites and fewer yolks), butter, cream, red meats (especially bacon, ham, salami and fatty cuts of beef and pork) and palm or coconut oils.
A diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables not only lowers cholesterol levels, but also supplies nutrients for sexual fitness.
Nuts and Seeds For Great Sex
They will add both fibre and complex carbohydrates to your diet. This can reduce the risk of heart disease and contribute to improved sexual fitness. In addition, wholegrains tend to be more filling, which can aid in weight management. Reduce your intake of refined pasta, macaroni, flours like rava and maida, and bread products. Choose a whole-wheat bread/bran bread over a plain white one, brown rice over white rice and whole-wheat or another whole-grain cereal for breakfast instead of cornflakes.
Fight PMS With Soya
Soya products are particularly healthy. They are low in fat and excellent sources of protein, fibre and iron as well as many vitamins and minerals. The phytoestrogens in soya appear to combat symptoms of PMS and menopause, particularly hot flushes.
Overcome Addiction To Enjoy Sex
Intake of excessive amounts of alcohol and certain drugs impairs sexual function. A little alcohol helps to loosen any kind of inhibition but too much can become a sedative. Barley, ginseng and spirulina might help to overcome addiction and help you enjoy better sex.
Spice Up Your Life
Certain spices can contribute directly and indirectly to sexual pleasure and performance.
Chilli peppers stimulate the nervous system, causing us to sweat, our faces to flush, and our heart rates to rise, simulating the effects of sexual arousal.
Ginger has long been considered a sexual stimulant and overall tonic for general health. Because it stimulates the metabolic system, ginger warms the body, which may explain why it is used as a sexual aid. It increases the blood flow to the genitals in both men and women.
Garlic may prevent and even reduce the build-up of fatty plaque in the arteries, thereby improving cardiovascular health. Good circulation plays a key role in sexual fitness by ensuring that the sex organs are amply supplied with blood.
Cloves warm the body and increase the blood flow to the extremities.
Eat Foods That Stimulate
Certain foods play an important role during the seduction act and can be consumed as desired.
Bananas contain a chemical that reportedly has a mood-lifting effect on the brain and raises self-confidence.
Carrots: Their phallic appearance and a high fibre content may induce sexual desire.
Shrimps have high iodine content, which is vital to the thyroid gland, which in turn, is vital for energy.
Chocolate provides a jolt of caffeine. It is a food for seduction that offers visual stimulation.
Tomatoes, also known as love apples, have a reputation for being sexual stimulants.
Apples are synonymous with temptation.
Asparagus is the most seductive food. You can even make eating one, fun! Start nibbling at it from one end and ask your partner to start from the other, and meet in the middle. It is a long sexy phallic looking food, rich in potassium, phosphorous, calcium and Vitamin E that can aid in hormone production and raise energy levels.
Olives, the green variety, make men more virile whereas the black variety increases the sex drive in women.
Other foods that join this list include champagne, caviar and ice cream.
To optimise your sex life, follow a diet that keeps your blood sugar level even and provides plenty of arginine, zinc and omega-3 fats.
• Avoid sugar and sugary snacks
• Reduce your intake of stimulants – tea, coffee, chocolate, excessive alcohol and cigarettes.
• Increase your intake of nutrient-rich foods – fruit, vegetables, wholegrains, seeds and wheat germ.
• Fish, turkey, chicken, beans, lentils, tofu, nuts and seeds are especially rich in Arginine.
• Eat tuna, mackerel, herring or salmon three times a week.
• Eat oysters – they are packed full of zinc (and great for men)
• Eat seeds and nuts. The best seeds are flax, hemp, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame.
• Use cold-pressed seed oils. Choose an oil blend containing flaxseed oil or hemp oil for salad dressings and cold uses, such as drizzling on vegetables instead of butter.
• Minimise your intake of fried foods, processed foods and saturated fats from meat and dairy.